Saturday, November 20, 2010

Nuh nuh nuh-nuh-nuh nananananananuh nuh-nuh-nuh!

After spending countless hours researching online, and making numerous trips to various music stores, my Jamesie got an electric guitar as an early Christmas gift. Apparently, he had wanted one last year, but I must not have thought he was serious about it because he (obviously) didn't receive one. About a month ago, he revealed to me that he was getting one for Christmas this year. (Are we that "married"? He can just tell me, not what he "wants" but, what he's "getting"? Ugh. Whatever.)

So, the search began. We made a trip to Music World or something [insert generic guitar store name here]. There was a van parked nearby that was black with flames painted on it. We were greeted by a sales clerk with a thick surfer dude accent. He knew his stuff and was very helpful. He knew countless facts and trivia about Metallica. I came to the conclusion that the van belonged to him.

Next, we visited a Guitar Center. We met an employee who was very helpful, knowledgeable, and eager to help us out. I quickly warmed up to him because he was nice and he was the least-creepy person working there. While making sure my 10-year-old nephew wasn't destroying anything and avoiding the leering stares from several employees, I learned, along with my hubby, a little more about guitars, guitar accessories, playing guitars, and, of course, Metallica.

We looked around, thanked the helpful employee, and left. After doing a lot of research and soul-searching, James wanted to return to this same location to make his purchase. He tried out a few models and did a lot of looking and figuring. And more looking. As he wandered through the store I followed loosely behind, acting interested in this or that. Half the time I actually was interested in 'this' or 'that', but as time wore on I was ready to leave with a guitar and all accessories needed to be awesome at it, and never, ever look back. Plus, I was hungry.

After an hour and a half, he had it narrowed down to two - what was all the hours researching online for? - but struggled to make a decision. I tried to assure him that whether he got this or that model, it would be great. I gave my two cents on the one I liked better than the other (it did help that this particular one was cheaper than the other, but it also suited him). But he couldn't make up his mind. So, I did the only helpful thing there was to do, and casually pointed out a third party that I'd had my eye on since we arrived at the store.

It really was a beautiful instrument. The body was a glossy, deep red wood with an interesting pattern to it that faded to black. The neck was embedded with mother of pearl detail. Here he was, basing his decisions on the quality of the pick-ups and the reliability of the brand and such. I liked this one because it was pretty.

He'll never, ever admit this, but he values my opinion and seeks my approval. All of a sudden, this guitar seemed like a good choice to him. It was made by a reliable brand, and it even had excellent pick-ups. Our helpful employee had good things to say about it, and so the decision was made. After acquiring all the necessary accessories to rock out, we made our way to the counter to pay. As we were concluding the purchase, he turned to me and said, "Well, since I got something today, we can go to a store and get you something, too." I can't believe I turned him down, but we had been in that Guitar Center for two hours and I was weary.

Now our home is filled with the sounds of electrified strings being strummed carefully, and slightly more profanity than usual. He really is getting quite good at it though. As I type, various riffs are flowing out of our spare bedroom. Black Sabbath, Nine Inch Nails, Deftones, Metallica (of course). He even played around with Journey's 'Don't Stop Believin'', just for me. He's learning fast, and loving it. I grabbed it at one point and played around with a few songs I knew back when I was motivated to play guitar. Some Coldplay and Dave Matthews Band songs are all I could remember off the top of my head. I started practicing a Deftones song he had gotten the tabs for, and he told me I was not allowed to learn it before he did.

Hmpf.

I get it; it's his new toy. But I still picked it out!

The dogs aren't quite sure what to make of it, although they're handling it better than I anticipated.

I'm proud to say I'm his #1 fan.

1 comment:

  1. That there's a nice lookin' gee-tar!

    Will he work harder on "Don't Stop Believin'" if I request it, too? Probably not, but I'd be totally impressed if he did.

    Not that there's anything wrong with Metallica, of course.

    ReplyDelete